FTD Treatment Study Group
FTSG 2018: Clinical Trials Methodology and Outcome Measures for FTD
AFTD hosted its FTSG 2018 conference March 8-9, 2018 at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center in Washington, DC.
AFTD and experts from industry, academia, government agencies, and nonprofit foundations joined together for an interactive think tank devoted to FTD and rare disease clinical trials, outcome measures and emerging therapies.
The conference featured thought-provoking presentations and discussions on innovative approaches to trial design, construction of clinical endpoints and biomarkers, plus recruitment strategies and data-sharing that will offer practical takeaways to support development of first-in-class therapies for FTD disorders. The meeting agenda is accessible here.
More on FTSG
AFTD is dedicated to improving the lives of families coping with FTD and to advancing research into treatment and a cure. The Frontotemporal Degeneration Treatment Study Group (FTSG) is an AFTD program that brings together stakeholders from industry, academia, NIH, FDA and independent foundations who share a common interest in accelerating the development of effective treatments for FTD and related disorders by promoting scientific dialogue in a collaborative forum.
FTSG Steering Committee
- Co-chairs: Adam Boxer (UCSF), Howard Feldman (UCSD), Michael Gold (AbbVie)
- Susan Dickinson (AFTD)
- Nadine Tatton (AFTD)
- Howard Fillit (Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation)
- Carole Ho (Denali Therapeutics)
- Robert Paul (Alector Pharmaceuticals)
- Rodney Pearlman (The Bluefield Project)
- Marg Sutherland (NINDS)
- Ajay Verma (United Neurosciences)
Highlights of Recent Meetings
2016, Bethesda, MD – Building an Infrastructure to Support FTLD Therapeutic Development
- Brought together 95 participants representing 20 academic institutions, 23 pharmaceutical/biotech companies, government, and nonprofit organizations
- Included panel discussions with industry representatives on FTD therapeutic development programs/trial design and with FDA/EMA representatives on regulatory issues
- See event coverage in ALZFORUM.
2012, Washington, DC – Clinical Development in FTD
2011, San Diego, CA – Clinical Trials in Alzheimer’s Disease (CTAD) Symposium
- Focused on clinical aspects of FTD drug development
- Topics discussed included epidemiology; clinical criteria; cognitive, functional and imaging outcome measures; and biomarkers
- Participants concluded that FTD trials were feasible and had the potential to benefit a broader group of neurodegenerative diseases
2011, Las Vegas, NV – FTSG: The Next Therapeutic Frontier
- Focused on pre-clinical aspects of FTD drug development
- Topics discussed included animal models, tissue models, successful translational initiatives in other disease areas, federal resources, and the potential for developing animal and compound registries
The proceedings from the 2011 meetings were first published by Alzheimer’s & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association in 2013: