AFTD Pilot Grants
AFTD Pilot Grants provide seed funding for innovative research projects in the preliminary stages of development, with an emphasis on early-career investigators in the process of establishing an independent research program. Projects funded through the Pilot Grant program are intended to generate data to support a follow-on grant application to the NIH, another public agency or a nonprofit organization.
AFTD funds three types of Pilot Grants:
- Basic Science Pilot Grants – These grants support projects focused on the neurobiological mechanisms underlying FTD.
- Susan Marcus Memorial Fund Clinical Research Pilot Grants – Funded by a generous donor, these grants support projects using human subjects or biofluid/tissue samples to answer questions about FTD pathology or to advance clinical practice.
- Nonpharmacological Therapies Pilot Grants – These grants support nonpharmacological therapeutic interventions or state-of-the-art technologies with the potential to positively impact the daily quality of life for persons with FTD and their families.
Award Details (All Pilot Grant Categories)
- Funding period: 1 year (January 1 – December 31)
- Amount of award (USD): $60,000
- Application of funds: Direct costs only
Who can apply?
- Investigators with faculty appointments at academic institutions, hospitals, or not-for-profit research institutions.
- Investigators employed by for-profit organizations.
- U.S. and international researchers.
- New and early-stage investigators are especially encouraged to apply.
- Postdoctoral fellows cannot be Pilot Grant PIs, unless confirmation of a faculty appointment that will start by the beginning of the funding period is provided
Timeline: 2018 Basic Science/Clinical Research Awards
- July 2018: RFPs posted
- September 7, 2018: Applications due
- December 2018: Funding decisions announced
- January 1, 2019: Funding period begins
Timeline: 2019 Nonpharmacological Therapies Awards
- March 2019: RFPs posted
- April 2019: Applications due
- June 2019: Funding decisions announced
- July 1, 2019: Funding period begins
View the 2019 Nonpharmacological Therapies Pilot Grant RFP here.
To request an application packet for the Nonpharmacological Therapies Pilot Grant, contact Debra Niehoff, PhD, AFTD Research Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.