AFTD Pilot Grants
AFTD Pilot Grants provide seed funding for novel research in the initial phase of development across the full spectrum of FTD disorders (behavioral variant FTD, primary progressive aphasia, progressive supranuclear palsy, corticobasal syndrome, and FTD-ALS) by early-stage researchers. Pilot Grants advance the careers of new investigators focused on FTD and generate data that will be the basis for follow-on funding applications to government funders or other public or private agencies.
AFTD funds two types of Pilot Grants:
- Pathways for Hope Pilot Grants – These grants support both basic research on the neurobiological mechanisms underlying FTD and translational research to improve clinical practice or advance biomarker and drug development. This all-inclusive category replaces the previous Basic Science and Translational Research Pilot Grant categories.
- Well-Being in FTD Pilot Grants – These grants support research to improve the well-being of persons diagnosed, families, and caregivers and to improve access to equitable, high-quality diagnosis, care, support, and research participation options.
Award Details (All Pilot Grant Categories)
- Funding period: 1 year
- Amount of award (USD): $110,000
- Application of funds: Up to $10,000 of the total award amount can be allocated to indirect costs
Who can apply?
- New or early-stage investigators in the process of establishing an independent research program who
- Have a faculty appointment or the equivalent at a nonprofit/research institution
- U.S. and international researchers
- Postdoctoral fellows cannot be Pilot Grant PIs, unless confirmation of a faculty appointment that will start within 3 months of the beginning of the funding period
- Fellows are encouraged to review AFTD’s Holloway Scholars postdoctoral funding programs
Note important changes to award amount, indirect policy, scope, and application deadline for 2022
Timeline: 2022 Pilot Grants (both categories)
- Application deadline: Friday, December 9, 2022, 8:00 pm ET
- Notification of awards: February-March 2023
- Award start date: April 2023