For Healthcare Professionals
AFTD educates physicians and healthcare professionals about frontotemporal degeneration (FTD ) and how to improve care for patients and their families through multidisciplinary collaboration and targeted initiatives. We combine professional expertise with the experience of people with FTD and caregivers to focus on FTD-specific approaches to improving care.
Background information and key articles in the literature are available on:
- The clinical features of FTD and current diagnostic criteria for behavioral variant FTD (bvFTD) and primary progressive aphasia (PPA)
- How to evaluate and diagnose FTD and the important role of specialists
- Information on treatment, patient management and other resources.
AFTD’s Partners in FTD Care is an on-going initiative to educate professionals about FTD and develop best practices in community care. Partners in FTD Care materials are developed by a committee of clinical nurse educators, social workers, and family and professional caregivers with contributions from specialists in speech-language pathology, occupational therapy, hospice. Partners in FTD Care has two elements:
- Introductory Educational Materials
- Quarterly e-newsletters featuring case studies in FTD
Introductory materials include information, tools and guides to use with a staff group or adapt to your own training approach.
- It Is What It Is – a short documentary from AFTD that shows the impact of FTD on four families The DVD comes with 12 page information booklet and discussion questions in staff and leader’s version for trainers.
- Three clinical case studies –that highlight different presentations of FTD and interventions; each includes discussion questions for participants and leader’s version:
- Changes in Behavior Chart – that summarizes FTD symptoms and interventions. Developed by the Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer’s Disease Center at Northwestern University.
- Daily Care Snapshot Tool – for families to assist with planning and assessment for placement
- Resources List – valuable places to turn for additional information
The full packet of materials, including the DVD, can be ordered for $20.00 either on-line or through a print order form available here. Individual documents can be downloaded from the links in the above titles.
Each e-newsletter presents a case study that highlights challenging symptoms and care issues in FTD, and includes discussion questions and suggested interventions. “What to do about….” Is a separate handout that provides concise strategies and practical tips for professional or family caregivers.
To receive Partners in FTD Care newsletters send your contact information to: PartnersinFTDCare@theaftd.org.
Past issues of the newsletter are available here.