AFTD Postdoctoral Fellowships
The AFTD postdoctoral fellowship program provides funding for the next generation of FTD researchers. By supporting talented young investigators during this critical phase of their scientific training, AFTD aims to inspire a long-standing commitment to FTD research.
The next funding cycle for the AFTD Postdoctoral Fellowships will be 2021-2023. We once again anticipate awarding two fellowships for 2021-2023, one for basic science research on the biology or pathophysiology of FTD, and one for clinical research seeking to answer questions relevant to FTD clinical practice.
The Timeline below shows important dates in the 2021-2023 funding cycle.
- Duration: Two years, beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30 of the second year
- Amount of award (USD): $55,000/ year ($110,000 total)
- Application of funds: Postdoctoral stipend + benefits. Any remaining funds may be applied to:
- Travel to relevant scientific meetings
- Research expenses (direct costs only)
- Publication costs
Who can apply?
- Applicants with a PhD, MD, or MD-PhD degree engaged in FTD research at an academic institution, teaching hospital, or nonprofit research institute.
- Applicants must be entering the first, second, or third year of a postdoctoral appointment by the award start date and this appointment must continue through the entire 2-year funding period.
- U.S. and international investigators.
- Researchers holding temporary or permanent staff scientist positions are not eligible.
Timeline: 2021 – 2023 Basic Science and Clinical Research Postdoctoral Fellowships
- August-September 2020: RFPs posted; online submission portal opens
- January 2021: Application deadline
- April 2021: Notification of awards
- July 1, 2021: Fellowship start date
For more information, please contact:
- Debra Niehoff, PhD, Research Manager, AFTD
Phone: 267-758-8654 / Email: [email protected]