2018 AFTD Education Conference
Chicago Marriott O’Hare | Chicago, IL
April 13, 2018 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Thanks to everyone who attended and presented at the 2018 AFTD Education Conference in Chicago!
Morning Session (video)
Welcoming Remarks, Gail Andersen, AFTD Board Chair (with a special greeting from Amy Bouschart-Callea and Frank Callea, FTD advocates and AFTD volunteers)
The State of the Art in FTD: A Clinical Overview of the FTD Disorders, Marsel Mesulam, MD (presentation)
PPA Research: What It Is Teaching Us About Brain Function and Progression, Sandra Weintraub, PhD (presentation)
Advances in Care and Support, Darby Morhardt, PhD (presentation)
Ask the Experts – Q&A, Marsel Mesulam, MD, Sandra Weintraub, PhD, Darby Morhardt, PhD (Facilitator: Nadine Tatton, PhD, AFTD Scientific Director)
Breakout Sessions: Clinical Issues
- Diagnostic Evaluation Tools: What They Can Tell You and What They Can’t, Sandra Weintraub, PhD (presentation)
- Treatment Options and Working with Your Doctor, Borna Bonakdarpour, MD (video / presentation)
- Participating in Research: Opportunities and Advantages, Emily Rogalski, PhD (presentation)
Speaking Up for FTD — a panel discussion featuring Joseph A. Becker, Nancy Cummings, Sharon Hall, Robin Riddle, Teresa Webb (Facilitator: Sharon Denny, AFTD Program Director) (video)
Breakout Sessions: Care Strategies
- Living with PPA: Practical Communication Strategies, Emily Rogalski, PhD, Becky Khayum, MS (video)
- Anosognosia (Lack of Awareness) and Positive Strategies for Care, Geri Hall, PhD (presentation)
Breakout Sessions: Support and Networking
AFTD 2017 Highlights, Susan L-J Dickinson, MS, CGC, AFTD Chief Executive Officer (video)
Keynote Address, Very Rev. Tracey Lind (video)
The 2018 AFTD Education Conference Keynote address is sponsored by Christopher Yurkanan in memory of his sweetheart and wife, Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan, who died May 23, 2017. AFTD is grateful for Christopher’s generosity and drive to advocate for all who face this disease, and achieve far wider national awareness.
AFTD would like to thank our 2018 Education Conference sponsors: